So this post, and I am sure some others that will follow, are going to be part of an assignment for my Foundations of Library Science course. We are to go to this blog, http://plcmcl2-things.blogspot.com/, and follow the 23 things and update as we go.
As I already have a blog, I won’t be creating a new one for this assignment but rather utilizing what I already have. So here goes!
- Read this blog & find out about the program. Check! Basically this adventure will lead to me being able to utilize more technologies that will help me in my future career as a Librarian. Sweet!
- Discover a few pointers from lifelong learners and learn how to nurture your own learning process. I really liked the 7.5 habits of successful learners and I hope I can say, without sounding cocky, that I have been doing a lot of these already! Now I just need to get that certificate to print out so that I can sign it…
- Set up your own blog & add your first post. Done! 🙂 Hello World!
- Register your blog on PLCMC Central and begin your Learning 2.0 journey. I attempted this but alas was unable to register it. I think that maybe the registration was closed? Let me know if this is incorrect so that I can update if necessary!
- Explore Flickr and learn about this popular image hosting site. Luckily I have been using Flickr for years! And I LOVE it! www.flickr.com/highlander411/sets. My favorite thing about flickr is that once you have uploaded the pictures you send your family and friends the link and they can order prints and see all the pictures that you have. This worked really well for my wedding, as it was a destination wedding and no family was able to make it. But they saw the pictures as they were uploaded later that day.
- Have some Flickr fun and discover some Flickr mashups & 3rd party sites. This was the first time I played with the mashups. I really really really like the Librarian trading cards! How cool is that?! http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/librariantradingcard/clusters/. I am definitely going to find a way to make use of the trading cards….
- Create a blog post about anything technology related that interests you this week. This week happens to fall on my birthday, so my favorite technology thing is going to have to include my present from my awesome husband. I have been wanting a tablet of sorts for some time, but could never decide if I wanted to get a tablet or an e-reader. There are benefits to both like the Kindle has the screen that is easy on the eyes and you can have thousands of books at your finger tips, but you really can’t do anything but read on it. However the tablet has multiple uses. It can be a reader, a computer, a notebook, etc. So I was gifted the Samsung Galaxy Tablet which allows me to have apps where I am able to follow all my blogs with Google reader, I can check my mail, read books, and do anything a laptop can do. It is fanastic! And the best part is it is light and easy to carry around which is great because I have a ton of books to lug around in Grad School. 🙂
Ok so I think that is a long enough post for now. I will be back later with some more of my 23 Things!